• Lord Burlington

In 1717 the third Earl submitted a Bill in the House of Lords to free him from restrictions and permit him to build on the land beyond the Burlington House garden. Construction of the new houses in what became Old Burlington Street, Cork Street, Clifford Street, part of Boyle Street and some houses on New Bond Street, started in summer 1718. A further Act of Parliament in 1734 secured the right to develop the lands to the east, which became Savile Street (now Row), New Burlington Street and the eastern end of Boyle Street.

In March 1747 the Earl assigned all his leasehold interest in the Ten Acres to the Marquess of Hartington, later William Cavendish, fourth Duke of Devonshire on the occasion of the latter’s marriage to Burlington’s daughter, Charlotte. The Burlington Estate subsequently passed to their grandson, William Cavendish the fifth Duke of Devonshire upon the death of the Duke in 1753 and his wife in 1758.

Towards the end of the 18th Century tailors started to arrive in the area, principally in Cork Street. A trade directory of 1828 mentions nine tailors in Cork Street, four in Clifford Street, three or four in Old Burlington Street and three or four in Savile Row.

By the end of the 18th century the predominantly private occupation of the estate was also being modified by the conversion of some houses into lodgings and the latter period of the nineteenth century saw them converted again into separate occupation for business purposes. At this time, the Estate was characterised by medical men, tailors, solicitors’ offices and hotels or lodging houses. Club and societies had also taken premises, including the Royal Geographical Society and Savile Club. One club of note remains, the Buck's Club at No.18 Clifford Street, which was founded after the First World War and where the first Buck's Fizz was created.

The mid 19th Century saw the growth of the tailoring industry and movement of tailors towards Savile Row. Old Burlington Street became home to Maison Lucile, the first global couture brand started by Lady Duff-Gordon. The early 20th Century then saw the arrival of galleries on Cork Street close to The Royal Academy, creating the character and mix which are seen today.